Chapter IV – Hedonism At Last! or HOLY SMOKES!! Those People Are-!?!

We all walk from the plane while some fella loads the luggage onto a two-wheeler. Our little group heads towards a little gate.

“Just a little while longer now,” I say to the Queen, 'cause I'm getting a real bad case of gator tail. My ass is draggin'.

It’s between 1 and 2 PM at this point, I think. But I don't really know because I took my watch off sometime ago and I am not planning to put it back on until the day we leave (and this causes some scheduling problems, later). Hell, I am not even sure where it is at this point!

“Smells like a concert around here,” the Queen.

And yes, there is a certain tang in the air as a salesman tries to get us to buy his wares.
“Buy my phatties, buy my phatties” he sings.

Even the longhair from Dallas is smiling. Reminded me of growing up in Florida. Used to be a lot of good Jamaican Ganja running through my town. Even knew a couple of Jamaicans when I was in High school. Met them through mutual 'friends'.

The stuff they brought in was capable of knocking an elephant down.

Dallas asks us if they want to share a cab. “Sorry man, we are only going across the street.” The Queen and I get a cab and negotiate the rate, throw our stuff in the back, and climb into the cab. It was a very short ride and we are pulling up to the entrance at Hedonism II. I get out of the cab and the driver helps the Queen out of the cab. He unloads our bags and I give him the fare and a tip.

I am sure I paid too much for that ride.

I join the Queen on the curb and we walk together into the reception area to check in.

Everybody’s saying stuff like, “Welcome home” or “It’s good to be among friends”

Check in goes without a hitch and we get the room keys and the safe lock. About the time I stand up and turn around, this big (BIG) guy snatches the envelope with the keys in it. “First time here?” he asks.

“Ya, mon,” says us.

“Hedo VIRGINS, got a coupla HEDO VIRGINS, here!!” he bellows. Then he says to us, “You guys have a very nice room, very close to the action. I’m Big Mike. Where you guys from?” With that he snatches the bags and takes off, presumably in the direction of their room. We follow, lagging somewhat behind because the Queen is somewhat enthralled by the vegetation. That makes me smile. She does this every time we go to the Caribbean. It’s hard for her to believe that plants she struggles to keep alive in an atrium or office are thriving here and are so HUGE!

“Texas,” I reply to Big Mike.

“Look at this,” the Queen says fingering the branches of a tree. “This is an agloeneama and it’s a FRIGGEN TREE!?” I look and see...it’s true. In atriums and offices in Texas, this looks more like a bush. On the way down Big Mike and I chat about the weather in Texas and Jamaica and other nonsensical stuff while the Queen ooohs and ahhhhs over the vegetation. We finally get to the room and Mike opens the door and ushers us inside. Our room is right by the Hot Tub / Pool / Cool water Jacuzzi area. He tries the safe key and the bugger does NOT work. So he collars some resort employee walking by and sends him up to get the correct one. Then he walks over to the window, flings the curtains open, opens the window, and yells, “Got some new friends here, TexasT’s and The Queen from TEXAS! Take good care of them!!!” Most of the folk in the pool turn and wave and yell some kind of greeting. The Queen is now blushing a pretty good shade of pink despite her glowing tan. Most of the folk in the immediate vicinity are in various forms of undress if not completely naked(!).

I was blushing pretty good myself. The right safe lock and key eventually arrives (Soon come!) and we bid Big Mike adieu. After we catch our breath, we head up to the dining room for lunch and a drink.

It’s about this time that I start to think about the day we have had so far. “All the Jamaicans we’ve come in contact with are so open and friendly.” I'm starting to think, “I could live here.” (happens every time)

Wishful thinking that only gets worse as the week goes on…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home